I'm not sure who is on what crew, but my goal is to get that info for tomorrow's post - along with a picture of each crew. As far as SMG goes, we are split up into 8 groups:
Joe Rausch
Tara and Julia
Fr. Chad
Maria
Gina
Meg and Joe Jurasko
John
Ashley
There are decks being built, roofs being replaced, basements being completely dug up and redone, drywall being hung, floors being laid, houses being painted and gardens being tended to. Everyone is getting dirty and loving it. We are doing our best to keep up with sunscreen and water, though lots of people got a little more sun than they wanted to. Mom and Dad (Happy 35th, BTWs), I am NOT one of them! :)
This afternoon, after many of us stopped at Big Bats for some ice cream (a beloved tradition by all who come to the Ridge - at least from our group) we walked to a local park and hung out with the local kids.
I'm not one to get uncomfortable in awkward-ish situations, so I walked up to a group of boys, introduced myself and asked if they wanted to play a game of basketball. They said sure, so I had the people interested in playing (the first game it was only guys) introduce themselves and then I got comfy on the sidelines to watch this random, but beautiful game of basketball take place.
It was incredible to see so many of the kids get out of their comfort zones and work together for a common goal. Sure, the goal was not to get schooled by the local teens (which they did...) but they were so good at encouraging each other and including everyone (And, as a side note, I've got to say that Josh and Jonah are crazy good athletes - I'm simply amazed!).
As dinner approached, a storm was rolling in so dinner took a bit longer. We eventually made it to Praise and Worship which was incredible tonight. Joel, one of the Next Step Staff, played his cello for a few songs. It was simply beautiful and incredibly moving. Then, we broke up into random small groups for some discussions.
A special note for all the parents:
Thank you so much for supporting your kids in this trip - financially, emotionally, spiritually, etc. I learn more about myself and more about my relationship with the Lord from these kids than I ever imagined possible. It is incredible to watch these kids try new things and see how on fire they are for the Lord - for serving the Lord, for praising him, for searching for a deeper and more meaningful relationship with him. THANK YOU!
A few of my favorite moments with some kids:
Josh S. won't stop smiling! He keeps telling me he is so happy! Yay!
Matt B. tole me that he is SO glad that he came on this trip and that he plans on coming for at least the next three years (get ready Mom and Dad - he's hooked!)
Jennie is an incredible leader and she is taking charge of situations and stepping up in ways that I think are even surprising to her. (I'm not surprised, she's amazing!)
I don't have very many pictures today - the day was a little wonky and we worked hard. Here are a few favorites:
Jennie working hard to scrape paint off the house.
Joey, Joe, Grace and Russ (from Ohio) doing some deck work.
Crew 4: The Thundercats
The Jennie McCormick Pic of the Day
Joey hard at work.
Joe and Ben putting finishing touches on the deck.
Playing at the park.
These guys are AWESOME!
So pretty!
JOEY!
Matt showing off his sweet dunking skills.
Walking back up to the dorms.
Grace and her new friend Chantel.
The Not-So-Creepy Ashley Pic of the Day with Julia!
I meant to post this picture on Saturday. It's totally one of my favorites!
I hope you're enjoying the read. I'm trying to get as many pics of all the kids as I can. The week is still young. I've got time!
Thanks for your prayers!
Peace,
Meg
Meg
Rest assured, Meg, at least this parent is enjoying your blog! Love hearing what you're all up to during the day and seeing the photos of the kids. Sending prayers daily that you all enjoy yourselves and continue to grow spiritually. Have fun (although it looks like you already are!)!
ReplyDeleteWe love your updates Meg! Thanks for taking the time to blog!
ReplyDelete