I finally made it to St. Maria Goretti to find all the vans already packed (I consider this a victory), things were still happening so no one was "waiting" for me and I was greeted by smiles from parents, teens and other chaperones. Yay God!
We got on the road at 7:00am and started the trek to Murdo, South Dakota. 6 mini-vans, one SUV, tons of excitement and expectations.
The vehicles are packed. Stuffed with kids and more food than we need (but less than we'd have if Randy were here). Within 10 minutes of highway driving, most of the kids were sound asleep. Pretty typical.
Our first stop was just after we crossed the border into Minnesota. FYI - rest stops are super efficient and effective when travelling with 41 people (41 because Chris is joining us late tonight in Murdo and we're picking Joe Jurasko up in Chadron, NE tomorrow afternoon).
Jennie, Kayla, Brittany and Deirdre
I definitely made most of these people get in this picture.
Joey decided on the pose for the boys.
Favorite pic of the day.
Ashley is actually having a great time. I promise.
Maggie and Grace. Pretty typical shot of these sisters.
We got back in the cars after a 20 minute stop and drove to Albert Lea, MN where we stopped for lunch. I was fortunate enough to have lunch with Jon, Matt, Jonah, Jack, Josh, Tom and Tara. We ate at McDonald's. Others ate at DQ and/or Arby's.
I captured this lovely shot of the boys:
Josh, Jack, Matt, Jon, Jonah and Tom.
I yelled, "SHOW ME YOUR TEETH!"
Tom didn't listen.
We re-adjusted car groups after lunch and continued the trek to Murdo. Here are a few highlights from the car ride:
- Charlie told Tara and Julia (drivers) that his name was Steve. For the entire morning, up until after lunch, they though we had a kid named Steve on the trip. Well played, Charlie!
- We have passed 39 signs for Wall Drug so far. We'll continue to add to that count tomorrow.
- Mom, Jonah told me you're his favorite Math teacher and it's because of you he was able to take class at the high school when he was in 8th grade. Boom!
- Maria Dulli makes AMAZING cookies!
- Joe Rausch rocked out to Boy Bands. Specifically: One Direction and Backstreet Boys.
- We got to see some of God's beauty in action as we came down a hill and drove over the Missouri River into South Dakota.
Second trip to So Dak for Lily and Julia!
So cute! Kateri, Tess, Johanna and Aileen
Grace^2!
Nikky and Abby being shy. Typical??? Not sure yet.
Love these boys!
Great Faces. Great Places
Enjoying some sun in So Dak. Getting ready to get back in the vans.
Kayla really wanted her water. Really bad.
Abby and Nikky! Gotcha!
Joe taking notes. Getting ready for parish time. (It's almost 9:00 pm.... look at how light it is!)
One, really big, happy family!
Ashley made us all hand-made journals for the week. They're AWESOME! Mine has Pope Francis on it. Winner!
TWINS! PS - they won the packing prize. Two girls packed in one bag! Impressive!
During parish time we all shared what we were bringing, what we were leaving behind and what are expectations are. We heard so many things that are SO awesome! These kids are so amazing. We are so blessed to have all of them with us. God is so good!
I will do my best to post pictures and give you updates each day this week. Please continue to pray for us as we are praying for all of you!
Tomorrow we get to celebrate Mass in the Badlands. Don't worry. I'll take pictures!
Peace,
Meg
No comments:
Post a Comment