Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Giving Thanks

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving.  2011. Lets just talk about that for a minute...2011.  Whoa.  Don't know how that happened!

I am thankful for many things.  But as I become aware of what I am thankful for, I am also aware of the fact that I don't say "thank you" enough.  I often take for granted things that I have become used to having.  

I'm reminded of Misty, a young woman that I met a week ago.  She approached me in a parking lot, sobbing and asked me for a ride.  She told me that she just tried to sell herself to make money for her children - she has 3 kids and another one on the way.  I quickly got her in my car and took her home.  She asked me what I did and I told her that I work for a church on the west side of Madison.  She looked at me, and asked me if I would pray for her.  (Now, she could have asked me for money, but she asked me to pray for her.  I was so thrown off - it was not what I expected to hear and all I could think was "shame on you, Meg," because I had judged.)  I told her that I would LOVE to pray for her and all of her kids.  We talked a bit more - she asked if I thought she was crazy for doing something like that to make money?  I told her that as a mother, I believe that she would do absolutely anything to be able to provide for her children.  I also told her that I think there are better and safer ways to get money.  We pulled up to her apartment and I handed her the only money I had ($15 - I wish I had more!)  She looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, "You promise me you'll pray for me?"  She sounded so desperate.  "I promise," I said.  And then she was gone.  I should have gotten her address.   Crap. Talking to someone so lost, afraid, and desperate, reminded me of my many blessings.

This Thanksgiving, I am thankful for:

God - for never giving up on me. 
My family - for always being there for me. 
My Fatty.  Brad and Amy.  My job.  Fr. David.  My high schoolers.
New York City.  Stacy Lynn. Jesus. The Green Bay Packers (10-0 baby).  Good music.
Tessa - for loving me for who I am and welcoming me into her family with open arms.
Bridget Yallaly.  A home.  A warm bed.  Fr. Chad. Hugs. My ability to sing.  Prayer. 
A good martini.  Laughter.  Jon and Amanda.  My NYC family.  For my education.
Pictures.  Blankets.  Health insurance.  Three meals a day. South Dakota Mission Trip.
Maggie.  Mary Beauclair.  Board games.  Friendly competition.
A good sense of humor.  Cold water.  My baby grand piano.  A good cry.
Freedom.  Love. Church. 
For everything else I didn't list. 

This time last year I was going through some major changes in my life - changes I could not have ever imagined for myself.  Changes that would cause me to re-evaluate everything that I thought I was about. I started going back to church. I started listening to God.  I am so unbelievably thankful.

Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good: for his steadfast love endures forever!
                                                                                                                                  (1 Chronicles 16:34)

No comments:

Post a Comment